Subject: RE: 5 problem orders
From: "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 09:23:53 -0500

Attached is the updates list of all the folks who are currently dialing
on the program (some have just been added). For any that do not have a
Labor Law username and Password please add them to your system.

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:17 AM
To: Bridges, Josh
Subject: Re: 5 problem orders

Josh,

Did you find anything out?  I still did not get anything yesterday.

Mike

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Bridges, Josh <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:28 PM

	Subject: RE: 5 problem orders

	Yes. I'm out of the office right this second on a lunch meeting
but as soon as I go back in I will get it over to you (along with the
other recording request).

	
________________________________

	From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:24 PM
	To: Bridges, Josh
	Subject: Re: 5 problem orders

	Josh,

	Can you send me over that updated user list again.  I still have
not received it as of yet.  I keep forgetting to ask you.  I was
supposed to have already done this about two weeks ago.  oops!  shhhhhh!

	Thank you,

	Mike - LLPS

	 

		----- Original Message ----- 

		From: Bridges, Josh <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:55 AM

		Subject: RE: 5 problem orders

		I'll work on this now.

		
________________________________

		From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
		Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:52 AM
		To: Bridges, Josh
		Subject: 5 problem orders

		Josh,

		We are still having problems with reps not selecting the
correct state products.  We had 5 orders that all have Alabama products
yet none of them are in the state of Alabama.  FYI, there is a pop box
that warns users when activating the "View all products" button that
they are seeing products outside the state they are in.  They can just
cancel and continue on the default page.  The only reason they would
need to view this is if in fact they really need to choose additional
products that are outside their state.  Can you please verify the states
these orders will need.  They are as follows:

		Order # 415324  >  330-620-1141

		Order # 415147  >  212-947-7940

		Order # 415162  >  209-785-6160

		Order # 415199  >  818-892-8323

		Order # 415436  >  818-894-2362

		Also, I have another request for the customer to hear a
recording.  It is for a July 23rd order.  Their phone # is 847-869-0892.
Can you get to this relatively quick?  They are disputing having to pay
for the order.  

		Lastly, I spoke to you last week about a couple other
recordings.  One is 401-331-4343 for an order placed on July 30th and
the other is for an order placed on August 22nd and their number is
920-622-3322.  Let me know asap!

		Thank you,

		Michael Bishop
		Labor Law Poster Service
		Phone 877-321-4144
		Fax 888-442-4144
		[email-masked]