Subject: RE: order problem form yesterday
From: "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 19:16:07 -0500

Attached is the recording. The Customer never said anything about
cancelling. 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 6:24 PM
To: Bridges, Josh
Subject: order problem form yesterday

Josh,

We had a call today from a lady who was extremely upset.  She stated
that the rep she spoke to was extremely pushy and unpleasant to speak
with.  The lady proceeded to speak to the rep and ended up giving her
information.  She states that before she hung up she decided that she
wanted to cancel the order.  She said the rep responded by saying it was
too late that the order had been processed and there was nothing she
could do to cancel it.  We canceled it and credited their account for
the balance owed.  I want to here this one.  The order information is as
recorded:

Order #470603 by Ann S, 316-681-3500

CHRISTIE BEAT
INK COMMERCIAL CONTRACTORS LLC 
240 N ROCK RD STE 104 WICHITA, KS 67206-2244

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]