Subject: RE:
From: "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:30:12 -0500

Ok, we'll continue on as we are.

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:27 AM
To: Bridges, Josh
Subject: Re: 

I only see one invoice order that made it through.  If your not able to
complete the process, nothing should be completed and making it through.
I'll let you know what's up as soon as I know something.  My thought is
he made some adjustments and turned something off and forgot to turn it
back on.

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Bridges, Josh <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:19 AM

	Subject: RE: 

	We are just getting everything compiled in a spreadsheet and
will send it over to you once we get the issue fixed.

	Can you see if sales are coming through from us?

	
________________________________

	From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 10:20 AM
	To: Bridges, Josh
	Subject: Re: 

	I am still trying to get ahold of my IT guy.

		----- Original Message ----- 

		From: Bridges, Josh <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 9:47 AM

		We have only had one go through and get a confirmation
number so far.