Subject: RE: problem call
From: "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 15:55:47 -0500

I will look into this.

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:56 PM
To: Bridges, Josh
Subject: problem call

Josh,

We had a customer call in stating that someone called them stating they
needed to buy posters from them.  They had just purchased posters from
us and had the updated 2008 posters which they told the caller.  The
person insisted they were wrong and still needed to order new posters.
They asked to speak to a supervisor and the person stated they were a
supervisor.  The customer hung up and called into our number to make the
complaint.  Can you follow up with your user.  The phone number called
was 925-779-9097.  Let me know if you need any more info on this.

Also, what's the status on those recordings?  Need to know what to say
to these customers.  Let me know asap.

Thank you

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]