Subject: RE: problem call
From: "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 16:23:57 -0500

I listened to the call below and I believe this is what happened:

The gentleman had just opened his business in the last few months and
had purchased 2007 posters from LLPS. He was surprised to find that he
had to buy updated posters so soon. He started to drill the rep on each
change that has been made in an effort to update his current posters
himself. He didn't seem to get very far with that so he asked to speak
to a supervisor. The supervisor explained that he DID NOT have to
purchase the 2008 posters but we were calling to make sure that all of
the companies that had done business with us in 2007 were prepared for
2008 compliance. He then asked if there were other companies that made
the posters and the supervisor said "I don't know". The drilled her on
that for a bit and then the call ended.

The customer was just upset that he had spent money on posters that he
thought would be good for longer. There is really nothing we could have
done here.

Let me know if I can help anymore with this one. 

 

I'm listening to the rest.

Thanks

Josh

 

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 3:56 PM
To: Bridges, Josh
Subject: problem call

Josh,

We had a customer call in stating that someone called them stating they
needed to buy posters from them.  They had just purchased posters from
us and had the updated 2008 posters which they told the caller.  The
person insisted they were wrong and still needed to order new posters.
They asked to speak to a supervisor and the person stated they were a
supervisor.  The customer hung up and called into our number to make the
complaint.  Can you follow up with your user.  The phone number called
was 925-779-9097.  Let me know if you need any more info on this.

Also, what's the status on those recordings?  Need to know what to say
to these customers.  Let me know asap.

Thank you

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]