Subject: RE: 5 problem orders
From: "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:07:39 -0500

I do that all the time... Attached now.

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:07 AM
To: Bridges, Josh
Subject: Re: 5 problem orders

Josh,

There is nothing attched to this email.

Mike

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Bridges, Josh <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:23 AM

	Subject: RE: 5 problem orders

	Attached is the updates list of all the folks who are currently
dialing on the program (some have just been added). For any that do not
have a Labor Law username and Password please add them to your system.

	
________________________________

	From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 9:17 AM
	To: Bridges, Josh
	Subject: Re: 5 problem orders

	Josh,

	Did you find anything out?  I still did not get anything
yesterday.

	Mike

		----- Original Message ----- 

		From: Bridges, Josh <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

		Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:28 PM

		Subject: RE: 5 problem orders

		Yes. I'm out of the office right this second on a lunch
meeting but as soon as I go back in I will get it over to you (along
with the other recording request).

		
________________________________

		From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
		Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:24 PM
		To: Bridges, Josh
		Subject: Re: 5 problem orders

		Josh,

		Can you send me over that updated user list again.  I
still have not received it as of yet.  I keep forgetting to ask you.  I
was supposed to have already done this about two weeks ago.  oops!
shhhhhh! 

		Thank you,

		Mike - LLPS

		 

			----- Original Message ----- 

			From: Bridges, Josh
<mailto:[email-masked]>  

			To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

			Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:55 AM

			Subject: RE: 5 problem orders

			I'll work on this now.

			
________________________________

			From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
			Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:52 AM
			To: Bridges, Josh
			Subject: 5 problem orders

			Josh,

			We are still having problems with reps not
selecting the correct state products.  We had 5 orders that all have
Alabama products yet none of them are in the state of Alabama.  FYI,
there is a pop box that warns users when activating the "View all
products" button that they are seeing products outside the state they
are in.  They can just cancel and continue on the default page.  The
only reason they would need to view this is if in fact they really need
to choose additional products that are outside their state.  Can you
please verify the states these orders will need.  They are as follows:

			Order # 415324  >  330-620-1141

			Order # 415147  >  212-947-7940

			Order # 415162  >  209-785-6160

			Order # 415199  >  818-892-8323

			Order # 415436  >  818-894-2362

			Also, I have another request for the customer to
hear a recording.  It is for a July 23rd order.  Their phone # is
847-869-0892.  Can you get to this relatively quick?  They are disputing
having to pay for the order.  

			Lastly, I spoke to you last week about a couple
other recordings.  One is 401-331-4343 for an order placed on July 30th
and the other is for an order placed on August 22nd and their number is
920-622-3322.  Let me know asap!

			Thank you,

			Michael Bishop
			Labor Law Poster Service
			Phone 877-321-4144
			Fax 888-442-4144
			[email-masked]