Subject: RE: order problem
From: "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Borum, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:35:05 -0500

Mike, 

In regards to Garry D.. We removed this rep from the program when we
were asked and he has since left the company. Some how another agent
forgot their password and got a hold of Garry's. We have taken
disciplinary action with the agent that used the login with out our
knowledge. As you said... that's that and it won't happen again.

Thanks

Josh

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 11:33 AM
To: Bridges, Josh
Cc: Borum, Jim
Subject: order problem

Josh,

I wanted to touch base with you on one that we had issue with.  Actually
I have two.  First, this is a multiple set order.  We can not use a PO
BOX when UPS is delivering.  If you remember, I had sent you an email
explaining that 2 csets or more automatically go UPS and that we need to
get a physical address.  I also had our IT person put in a check for
this.  It wasn't flagged because the user put in just P.O. instead of PO
Box.  Always, we will call the customer to get a physical address.

My second issue with this order is that it was processed by Garry D.
yesterday.  It wouldn't have probably have been caught except for it was
the only tube with a bad address.  I am not sure what's going on with
this, but you had assured me that this rep was to be removed from any of
our calling.  I had expressed the numerous problems we have had with his
orders and that we are, quite honestly, tired of dealing with his
mistakes.  I went ahead and changed the password to this rep so they can
no longer access our database.  I don't want to be harsh but I want to
make it clear that I do not want this rep ever calling on our customers.
I also took Mike N. completely as well.  I haven't seen anything from
him in a while but I just wanted to make sure.  Anyways, that's that and
I don't think we will have to discuss this again.

Again, I'll let you know when things are repaired on our end with your
groups access.

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]