Subject: RE: 5 problem orders
From: "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:55:59 -0500

I'll work on this now.

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 11:52 AM
To: Bridges, Josh
Subject: 5 problem orders

Josh,

We are still having problems with reps not selecting the correct state
products.  We had 5 orders that all have Alabama products yet none of
them are in the state of Alabama.  FYI, there is a pop box that warns
users when activating the "View all products" button that they are
seeing products outside the state they are in.  They can just cancel and
continue on the default page.  The only reason they would need to view
this is if in fact they really need to choose additional products that
are outside their state.  Can you please verify the states these orders
will need.  They are as follows:

Order # 415324  >  330-620-1141

Order # 415147  >  212-947-7940

Order # 415162  >  209-785-6160

Order # 415199  >  818-892-8323

Order # 415436  >  818-894-2362

Also, I have another request for the customer to hear a recording.  It
is for a July 23rd order.  Their phone # is 847-869-0892.  Can you get
to this relatively quick?  They are disputing having to pay for the
order.  

Lastly, I spoke to you last week about a couple other recordings.  One
is 401-331-4343 for an order placed on July 30th and the other is for an
order placed on August 22nd and their number is 920-622-3322.  Let me
know asap!

Thank you,

Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]