Subject: RE: Labor Law Poster- Question
From: "Doug Browning" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Andy McCarthy" <[email-masked]>, "Bridges, Josh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 15:51:11 -0400

Unfortunately the rep did not write down the customer's information, but
did make comments in the notes section so when she is called back
(scheduled for tomorrow) she can go over this.  I will pass this on.

Thank you...

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 3:49 PM
To: Doug Browning
Subject: Re: Labor Law Poster- Question

If you would like to forward the customers information and phone number,
we can follow up on this end.  We currently do not have anything in
place that would allow you to offer anything different for the federals.
I will think about it and see what we can do for future situations like
this.

Thank you,
Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked] 

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Doug Browning <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: [email-masked] 

	Cc: Bridges, Josh <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Andy
McCarthy <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Doug Browning
<mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:46 PM

	Subject: Labor Law Poster- Question

	Hi Mike,

	Question for you... 

	We had a rep today contact a customer that wanted 20 Federal
Poster only. The rep quoted her the price of $24.50 for each of posters
totaling $490.00.

	The customer wanted to purchase, but said that she was finding
the posters for $17.95 and she was going to go with the better price.  

	Now we've been given the opportunity to offer a $10.00 discount,
is there any way that we can offer something up for her even though it
is not a full set?

	I did not want to lose this customer so I had the rep talk her
into a call-back after she discusses it with her managers.  So...Is
there anything that we can do for her or when we call her back is that
the best we can offer?

	Thanks for your help