Subject: RE: "bad" credit cards - Status?
From: "Newman, Annie" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 10:57:16 -0500

Upon contact the customer just stated that they would take an invoice
instead of trying to run the credit card again. My only thought would be
buyer's remorse. 

 

 

Annie Newman

RDI Marketing Services, Inc.

Office: 513-338-1161

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 5:27 PM
To: Newman, Annie
Subject: Re: "bad" credit cards - Status?

I can change the status on this end.  Was there a reason we couldn't run
the orders as credit cards?  Usually the customer just gave you the
wrong expiration and/or number.  No big deal.  I'll just invoice them.

Thanks,

Mike -LLPS

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Newman, Annie <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Dooley, Ryan
<mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Friday, December 29, 2006 1:56 PM

	Subject: RE: "bad" credit cards - Status?

	Mike,

	            Both of these sales need to be changed to invoice
sales. How would you like for us to deal with this?

	 

	Thanks,

	Annie Newman

	RDI Marketing Services, Inc.

	Office: 513-338-1161

________________________________

	From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]] 
	Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 2:53 PM
	To: Dooley, Ryan; Newman, Annie
	Subject: Fw: "bad" credit cards - Status?

	Hello.  Can you tell me the status of these orders?

	Thanks,

	Mike -LLPS

	 

	----- Original Message ----- 

	From: Mike <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	To: Annie Newman <mailto:[email-masked]>  ; Ryan
Dooley <mailto:[email-masked]>  

	Sent: Friday, December 22, 2006 3:56 PM

	Subject: "bad" credit cards

	We had some credit cards which were not processed and they are
as follows:

	Grass Busters, Inc. in MD had a "CALL" response

	Leilani Foliage, LLC in HI had a "DECLINED" response

	Everything went through as recorded.  Great job on the number of
credit cards received.  Your group seemed get a higher ratio of credit
cards out of total orders.  Decent up-selling as well.  Thanks for all
your help.  You all have a Merry Christmas if I don't talk to you
before!

	Sincerely,

	Michael Bishop
	Labor Law Poster Service
	Phone 877-321-4144
	Fax 888-442-4144
	[email-masked]