Subject: Re: system problems
From: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
To: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:23:31 -0500

I had just sent an email.  The ticket number is 1828439.  Thank you for any 
help you can lend!

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Lynch, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "Mike" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Friday, November 30, 2007 5:17 PM
Subject: RE: system problems

Do you have a ticket number or the name of someone you spoke with in 
Merchant Tech?  I can find someone to follow up on this issue.  Who are you 
talking to?

David

________________________________

From: Mike [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Fri 11/30/2007 1:05 PM
To: Lynch, David; Davis, Jason
Subject: system problems

Hey guys.
I just wanted to let you know that we have been having a few problems with 
some of our transactions being processed.  I have been trying to resolve the 
issue through the customer support line.  I have made several calls which 
gets them working on the problem, but has yet to completely remedy the 
problem overall.  I may be enlisting you to help if I can't get this fixed. 
I was on the phone for a total of more than hour all together yesterday.  I 
am back on the line now waiting to talk to another supervisor.  I will let 
you know what happens.  Hopefully we can get this fixed.  These errors have 
been popping up for over a week.  I may be calling you.
Thank you,
Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]