Subject: Re: Invoice 1236314
From: "LLPS Customer Service" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:21:35 -0400

Marion,
Sorry for the confusion.  We will be issuing you a refund today. Please just 
keep those posters to spare the extra expense.  I realize you would not need 
those posters at your business since you have no employees.  You may give 
those to another business that can use them.  It would be good if someone 
could get some use of them.  Again, sorry for any confusion.  If you have 
any questions or concerns regarding this matter, please contact me.  Have a 
great day!
Thank you,
Michael Bishop
Labor Law Poster Service
Phone 877-321-4144
Fax 888-442-4144
[email-masked]
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Marion" <[email-masked]>
To: "Labor Law Poster Service" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2011 7:24 AM
Subject: Re: Invoice 1236314

> Dear Cole,
>
> I am taking the posters to the Post Office this morning and returning them 
> as instructed by Kaylee on the phone yesterday after my Board members told 
> me to send them back.  I will be looking for a refund on my credit card. 
> This is what happens when you are dealing with a bunch of old people who 
> can't remember from one day to the next what is going on.  We pinch our 
> pennies as best we can to keep our non-profit Historical Society going 
> from one year to the next and can no longer afford an employee.  Nor, can 
> we waste money on something we don't need.  Thanks for your understanding.
>
> Sincerely,
> Marion Hauck, Treasurer of the Littleton Historical Society, LIttleton, MA
>