Subject: Re: Service call needed for KIP
From: Jeffery Lorencen <[email-masked]>
To: Michael B <[email-masked]>
Cc: Ryan Coleman <[email-masked]>, David Ostrovetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2013 17:03:00 -0500

Mike:
Your confirmation Number is 17340555. I have attached a service call and
supplies ordering procedure for you. When you email Ryan, Dave or I you are
taking a chance. I know both Ryan and Dave are out town in meetings and I
just happened to stop back at the office. If you call the 800 number they
issue a confirmation number and you can be sure your service will be
scheduled.

Thanks Mike

Jeff Lorencen

Named Account Executive
Konica Minolta Business Services
*Office (517) 679-1108*
[email-masked] <[email-masked]>*
http://kmbs.konicaminolta.us/wps/portal/web/home/home/businesssolutions
The bitter taste of poor quality remains long after the sweet taste of a
low price.

On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 4:46 PM, Michael B <[email-masked]> wrote:

>  Hello.
> We are needing some service on the KIP.  We are having that same streaking
> we have had previously.  Please schedule this asap.  Much appreciated!
> Thank you,
> Michael B
> LLPS
>