Subject: Re: Refund for electrical
From: Ryan Coleman <[email-masked]>
To: LLPS Customer Service <[email-masked]>, Melissa Deeter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:00:55 -0500

On it

Mel,

Can you please follow up with Corp to see where the check is for the
electrical work at Mandatory Poster?

Thanks

Ryan Coleman
Branch General Manager
Konica Minolta Business Solutions Inc.
2851 High Meadow Circle
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
248.883.6026 Direct Dial
440.669.6208 Cell
[email-masked]
http://kmbs.konicaminolta.us

STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail is confidential,
privileged and intended for the exclusive use of the addressee.  Any other
recipient of this message is strictly prohibited from disclosing,
distributing or reproducing it.  If you have received this e-mail by
mistake, please notify us immediately by telephone or delete all copies

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM, LLPS Customer Service
<[email-masked]>wrote:

>  Hello Ryan.
> We have not received the refund for the electrical work.  Can you follow
> up on this for me and let me know when we can expect to receive this?  Much
> appreciated!
> Thank you,
> Michael B
> LLPS
>